Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AIA-Baltimore-COTE-241450422602238/
The Committee on the Environment was formed to promote the benefits of environmentally-conscious design and construction within the building professions and the community at large. We are involved in a number of projects, some in partnership with community organizations, to promote a healthier, more sustainable environment in the Baltimore region. We are planning inspiring and educational events for architects and associates in the coming year. Just a hint of our plans include a Winter party, informative sessions on the 2030 Challenge, Passive House, energy and resource neutral design, green building tours, “what are you doing?” sessions, and a family stream clean-up day.
The AIABaltimore Resiliency Committee joined COTE in January 2015. The subcommittee is a network of building design professionals dedicated to educating, promoting and implementing programs that help prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters within our design community and the community at large.
The committee meets every 4th Tuesday at 6:00 pm at various locations.
Contact the committee chairs for information about joining:
Rudy Schaar, AIA
Whitman Requardt & Associates
Dustin Watson, AIA
Social Media: Facebook
- Join Floura Teeter around the Camp Fire for PARK(ing) Day 2017 8.17.17 - Baltimore, MD (August 15, 2017) – On Friday, September 15th, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Floura Teeter Landscape Architects will join artists, designers and citizens around the world in the annual worldwide movement known as PARK(ing) Day. continue reading
- Advocacy: Complete Streets 6.29.17 - Baltimore, MD (June 29, 2017) – This week, AIABaltimore sent a letter to Councilman Ryan Dorsey (District 3) endorsing the Complete Streets legislation soon to be introduced to Baltimore City Council. continue reading
- inPLACE Design Founder Named Co-Chair of AIABaltimore’s Committee on the Environment 3.30.17 - BALTIMORE, MD (March, 30 2017) - Dustin Watson, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, NCARB, CDP, Founder and Principal of inPLACE Design—a Baltimore-based architecture, planning, and design firm—has been appointed as Co-Chair of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Baltimore’s Committee on the Environment (COTE). continue reading
- Interested in Participating in a Baltimore Safety Assessment Program (SAP) Training Session? 2.3.17 - The Safety Assessment Program (SAP) utilizes architects and engineers as volunteers to assist local governments in safety evaluation of their built environment in the aftermath of a disaster. continue reading
- Our Commitment to a Better Future for the Communities We Serve 11.16.16 - Following last week’s election results, AIA National released a statement indicating AIA's readiness to work with the new administration on relevant issues. The statement drew strong criticism from AIA members nationally, inspiring dialogue about the values of the AIA and the role of architects as advocates in our profession, our communities and our nation. continue reading
- AIA Disaster Assistance Handbook - "Citizen architects" assist their communities through service on boards and commissions before and after a disaster to plan for hazardous events, ensure building codes are updated, and advise on responsible land use that will allow businesses and communities to assume operations more quickly after a disaster. continue reading
- Top 10 Resilient Design Resources - Here are the top 10 resilient design resources compiled by AIABaltimore COTE | R co-chair Martina Reilly. continue reading
- Transforming Baltimore: The New Green Code - Ever since its introduction, there has been a lot of speculation regarding the International Green Construction Code (IgCC). What is IgCC all about and what does it mean for you? Who has adopted IgCC Codes in the region and what are future trends? What will I be expected to know and do? continue reading
- Web Resources for Sustainable Architecture - Visit our ever-growing list of resources across the internet that further the practice of environmentally-sustainable building. continue reading
- Sustainability Reading List - Recommended reading from the Committee on the Environment. continue reading