- This event has passed.
Bees in the City
October 24 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pmFree
Presented by AIABaltimore COTE | R
In conjunction with our gallery exhibit Bees in the City, Pavel Snejnevski, Beekeeper, with Heritage Honey DC will give a presentation on bees: the life of a honeybee colony: what it needs to grow, multiply, and survive through the winter in urban, suburban, and rural areas.
The presentation will include the following topics:
1. A unique human relationship with honeybees that is centuries old
2. Overview of the life cycle of the honeybee colony in managed and non-managed conditions
3. Vital importance of honeybees for agriculture and especially for biodiversity and sustainability of natural environments
4. Adaptability of honeybees to different surroundings, including environments modified by human activity
5. Unique current environmental and human-produced stressors contributing to the so called “colony collapse disorder”
6. Importance of sustainable, low-scale, local, non-migratory beekeeping for survival of the honeybees in America
Image courtesy Heritage Honey