Maryland Architects’ Tour of Monticello, Poplar Forest and University of Virginia
October 14 @ 9:45 am - October 15 @ 7:45 pm
Register by August 31 for Guaranteed Pricing
Per person, double occupancy – $250 ($500 total for two people who sharing a room)
Per person, single occupancy – $300
Architectural historian Fiske Kimball called Thomas Jefferson “the father of our national architecture.” Influenced by his readings of ancient and modern architectural writings, Jefferson gleaned the best from both his reading and from his observations in Europe, creating in his architectural designs a style that was distinctively American.
AIA credits TBD.
- Round-trip minibus transportation
- Overnight accommodations
- Tours of three Thomas Jefferson landmarks: Monticello, Poplar Forest and the University of Virginia (note: the Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Monticello involves climbing steep stairs and is NOT handicapped-accessible)
- Friday lunch, Saturday breakfast and evening sandwiches
- Examine historical and architectural details of three of Thomas Jefferson’s most enduring architectural masterpieces.
- Understand how Jefferson’s designs have been altered, modified and returned to as safety requirements and uses of the buildings have changed.
- Witness the ongoing restoration process at Monticello and Poplar Forest, including materials choices and conservation processes.
- See how Jefferson reconciled his love of geometry and classicism with practical concerns to maximize the use of space and create buildings that best served the purposes of end users.
Friday, October 13
9:45 AM – depart BWI Rail Station, Linthicum MD
10:30 AM – depart Greenbelt Metro Station, Greenbelt MD
(box lunches on bus)
2:30 PM – arrive at Poplar Forest, Lynchburg VA
5:00 PM – depart Poplar Forest
5:30 PM – arrive at Quality Inn, Lynchburg VA
(dinner on your own)
Saturday, October 14
(breakfast at hotel included)
7:00 AM – depart Quality Inn
8:30 AM – arrive Monticello, Charlottesville VA
(lunch on your own – Cafe at Monticello)
1:00 PM – depart Monticello
1:45 PM – arrive University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
3:30 PM – depart University of Virginia
(sandwiches on bus)
6:30 PM – arrive Greenbelt Metro Station, Greenbelt MD
7:15 PM – arrived BWI Rail Station