The Equity Committee of AIA Baltimore seeks to promote an inclusive environment for all design professionals. We celebrate diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and achievements by providing networking opportunities, a platform for change, and a forum for mentorship and personal and career development.
The committee meets every 2nd Thursday at 6 p.m. Location varies.
Contact the committee chairs for information about joining:
Alice Brooks, AIA
Ayers Saint Gross
Lori Lessem, AIA
L2 Design Studio
Follow Women of Architecture in Maryland on Facebook
- The Architecture of Victorine Du Pont Homsey in Maryland - During the month of April, the "Early Women of Architecture in Maryland" exhibit will be on display in the Greenbelt Community Center (15 Crescent Rd, Greenbelt, MD 20770). A free talk on one of the women in the exhibit: Victorine Du Pont Homsey, FAIA (1900-1998) will be presented on Thursday evening, April 20, in Room 201 of the Community Center starting at 7:30pm. continue reading
- Early Women of Architecture in Maryland Exhibit Moves to the Greenbelt Community Center 3.27.17 - During the month of April, the “Early Women of Architecture in Maryland” exhibit will be on display in the Greenbelt Community Center (15 Crescent Rd, Greenbelt, MD 20770). The exhibit officially opens on April 2. continue reading
- Our Commitment to a Better Future for the Communities We Serve 11.16.16 - Following last week’s election results, AIA National released a statement indicating AIA's readiness to work with the new administration on relevant issues. The statement drew strong criticism from AIA members nationally, inspiring dialogue about the values of the AIA and the role of architects as advocates in our profession, our communities and our nation. continue reading
- Open Letter to Robert Ivy 11.15.16 - We pen our voices in unison with others who are beyond disappointed with the perceived collective support the AIA has announced this week for the President-Elect and the newly elected Congress. There is much harm in turning a blind eye to human rights issues, and in the permission granted by an elite few to normalize a discourse of hate in this country. continue reading
- Equity for the Next Generation 11.15.16 - I recently had the opportunity to participate in a STEAM event for young girls and it really struck me how exciting it was to be part of an event geared towards encouraging girls to challenge themselves and explore careers in the sciences. continue reading
- Women’s Leadership Summit 2017 Calls for Proposals 6.9.16 - AIA Women’s Leadership Summit is now welcoming proposals for lectures and presentations. Deadline: July 25. continue reading
- Salary Negotiation Resources - Negotiating is key to getting the salary you deserve. On September 21, the Equity Committee hosted a conversation on salary negotiation with Stacey B. Lee. J.D., Assistant Professor, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. Below are resources to prepare you for successfully negotiating in the workplace. continue reading
- Why We Need an Equity Committee - A recent study suggests that the number of licensed women has been decreasing. I believe this is partly due to a lack of support... continue reading