John Wilkinson was one of the three engineers noted as founding members of the Baltimore Chapter of AIA (1870-71). Our research has revealed little about him.
George A. Frederick in Recollections 1912 recalled him as “a most estimable man and well skilled in his specialty of landscape, green or hot houses and farm building architecture. He did considerable work for the Winans family and died, probably, as much as twenty years ago.”
He may have been the John Wilkinson noted as an associate editor of The Maryland Farmer (Vol. XII, May, 1875). One John Wilkinson advertised himself for “rural architecture, landscape gardening and civil engineering…425 W. Lafayette Street” (sic., this street is unknown today) in the Maryland News Sheet Oct. 16, 1861.